Have any questions?
+44 1234 567 890
Tradition and innovation – all about our 100 years' of history
There is no other place where the social and cultural life of the city is so intense and highly focused as in the 'Donauhallen' in Donaueschingen, located in the Black Forest. A lot of celebrities from the world of politics and sports, the economic and culture scene and the show business have already experienced the 'Donauhallen' and thousands connect its name with unforgettable moments. A good reason to take a closer look into the history of the festival hall of Donaueschingen.
In the late 1960s, it became evident that the multipurpose hall no longer met the increased requirements of the international music events. In February 1969, Mayor Robert Schrempp informed the city council that Südwestfunk could not realize many planned performances in the old hall, prompting a quick discussion about renovation. After some back and forth, the city council approved the transformation of the market hall into a festival hall, which was essentially equivalent to a new construction. The new hall, ready for the music events, went into operation on October 18, 1970, without an inauguration ceremony. In the subsequent years, Donauhalle A and B underwent several renovations and modifications. In 1970, Hall C was created with an extension to Hall B. Hall A, now the Mozart Hall, was optimized, especially in terms of sound, acoustics, and stage technology. The foyer was also expanded. In early 1974, the city hall was renamed 'Donauhalle'.
During a concert on March 20, 1955, the temporary festival hall went up in flames. This fire catastrophe led to plans to relocate the festival hall back to the city center. The idea emerged to convert the market hall, which was put into operation in 1951 at the site of today's Donauhallen, into a multipurpose hall, now known as the Mozart Hall. In addition to its use for livestock markets, it was intended for various events and celebrations. As a replacement for the market hall, Hall B, the current Bartók Hall, was built in the summer of 1956.
After the end of the war, a temporary solution was implemented. Starting in 1946, the city leased the equestrian hall built in 1823 on Sennhofstraße from the Princely Fürstenberg family and converted it for use as a municipal festival hall. In 1951, a multipurpose hall was erected at the current location of the Donauhalle for cattle and pig markets.
For 46 years, events of all kinds took place here until it was destroyed by Allied aerial bombs on February 22, 1945.
After the major city fire on August 5, 1908, it served as emergency accomodation for homeless families.
In 1899, Donaueschingen acquired its first festival hall, which became operational on the old festival hall square.